▣ Leave of Absence, Return, Withdrawal, and Dismissal
- Student must return any scholarships received prior to applying for a leave.
- If a student applies for a leave of absence after 14 days have elapsed from the start of the semester, the student must pay the tuition fee before applying for the leave of absence.
■ Leave for obligatory military service
- Students who have received an enlistment notice can apply for a military service leave.
- Students can apply for a military service leave through the online Yonsei Portal Service. When applying for a leave for military service, a student must attach a copy of the “Notice of Enlistment” on the Yonsei Portal to get a permit for a leave.
- If a student is enlisting after the 2/3 semester line, his course enrollment remains unchanged and will be graded.
- If a student discharged from the military immediately after the enlistment, he must file a cancellation of leave form with the “Notice of Return” attached to the Academic Support Team at the Office of Academic Affairs within a week.
- Students who enlist before 2/3 of the semester have elapsed will receive a refund of tuition according to the same standards as students on leave of absence for general reasons. If a student enlists after 2/3 of the semester has passed, the current semester is considered effective and there will be no tuition refund.
■ Leave for General Reasons
- Students can apply for a leave of absence for general reasons (e.g., family matters, study abroad, medical issues, pregnancy/childbirth/child care, preparation for a business start-up etc.), or purposes of enlistment planning (when the enlistment notice has not been received yet).
- Leave of absence is not allowed for the first semester of freshmen, transfer admission, double-major for graduate candidates or re-admission students. Enlistment in the military services, illness or pregnancy are exceptions to this restriction.
- Undergraduate students desiring a leave of absence must formally apply for a Leave online through the Yonsei Portal Service.
- Applying for a leave of absence for general reasons is permitted only until two thirds of a semester expires. A leave application due to an illness can be submitted up to a week before the beginning of the official final examination period.
- Tuition refund will be wired to the student’s bank account registered on Yonsei Portal Service. The amount of tuition refunded will be determined according to university regulations as follows:
Date to file leave
Amount of refund
Within 2 weeks from the beginning of a semester:
✔ 15 ~ 30 days from the beginning of a semester:
5/6 of tuition fee
✔ 31 ~ 60 days from the beginning of a semester:
2/3 of tuition fee
✔ 61 ~ 90 days from the beginning of a semester:
1/2 of tuition fee
✔ After 90 days from the beginning of a semester:
- If a student is allowed a leave of absence for general reasons, all course enrollments will be canceled and will not be graded.
- Total period of leave cannot exceed 6 semesters for freshmen-admission students and not more than 3 semesters for 3rd year transfer students. This maximum does not include any period of leave for obligatory military service.
● Leave for Pregnancy, Childbirth and Child Care
- Students who would like to take a leave of absence due to pregnancy, childbirth or child care of children under 8 years old (under 2nd grade year in elementary school) may take an extra leave of absence for up to two years total in addition to the existing maximum leave period. When applying for this leave of absence, students must submit the following documents:
ㆍFor pregnancy and birth: medical certificate
ㆍFor child care: Family relation certificate
- Students who would like to take a leave of absence due to pregnancy and childbirth must apply for a leave of absence no later than one week before final exam period starts (Leave of absence for child care must follow the rules for general leave of absence and may apply up to 2/3 of the semester).
- In the case of childbirth, general leave of absence is exceptionally permitted during the first semester for students admitted through new admissions, transfer, double-major for prospective graduates, and re-admissions tracks.
● Leave for (Preparing) Business Start-up
- Students who would like to take a leave of absence due to (Preparing) business start-up may take an extra leave of absence for up to two years in addition to the existing maximum leave period when they pass the screening of the Yonsei Enterprise Support Foundation.
- For detailed information, please consult the Yonsei Enterprise Support Foundation (http://venture.yonsei.ac.kr).
■ Return from Leave of Absence
- Students on the leave of absence should file application for return during the designated period through Yonsei Portal Service.
- Students on the leave of absence for mandatory military service must file returning application or application for leave for general reasons no later than one year from the date of discharge.
■ Voluntary Withdrawal from the University
● Students desiring to withdraw from the University must file an official Withdrawal Request Form through the Academic Support Team of the Office of Academic Affairs.
■ Academic Probation and Dismissal
- A student whose GPA is below 1.75 (on a 4.3 scale) will receive an academic warning, and three warnings will result in dismissal. A student dismissed because of poor academic standing can apply for readmission only if 2 years have passed since the dismissal took place.
- Students failing to return after the allowed leave of absence period expires will be dismissed.
- Students failing to pay tuition during the designated period will be dismissed.
- Students failing to complete the graduation requirements within the maximum semester limit will be dismissed.
- When freshmen, transferred students, double-majors for graduate candidate and readmitted students in the first semester do not enroll for any class during the designated period, they will be dismissed. Any students whose leave of absence period are expired do not enroll for any course during the designated period will be dismissed.
- Deceased students will be dismissed.
● Applicants’ qualifications
A student may obtain permission for readmission only once if there's a vacancy in the normal quota. One who is subject to any of the following conditions is banned from readmission:
- Dismissed after readmission.
- Dismissed as a result of university's disciplinary judgement.
- Students dismissed because of poor academic standing are not allowed to apply for readmission for two years.
● A readmission fee, in addition to the tuition fee, will be imposed on readmitted students.
● All of the academic warning(s), enrollment periods, grades and credits a student received before dismissal are still effective after he/she is readmitted. Thus if a student dismissed for cumulated academic warnings receives one more academic warning after readmission, he/she will be dismissed permanently.