- [COVID-19] Important Notice for Novel Coronavirus Infection Prevention and Control on Campus February 07, 2020
Updated February 13, 2020
[This notice will be updated continuously.]
Yonsei University will implement additional measures to prevent the spread and infection of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Detailed guidelines for emergency measures will be announced separately by each department. We request your support and cooperation as we work together to ensure the safety of all members of the Yonsei community.
1. Changes in Academic Schedule for Spring 2020 Semester
1) Postponement of Semester Start Date: The starting date of the Spring Semester will be delayed two (2) weeks to March 16, 2020. (Schedule is subject to change depending on the development of the coronavirus situation).
2) Course enrollment period will be delayed one (1) week. During the enrollment period, students' travel history to China or Southeast Asian countries will be rechecked. Detailed schedules will be announced by each Graduate School and the Office of Academic Affairs.
2. Updated Move-In Dates for Dormitories
1) Those who visited/stayed in China and Southeast Asian countries within two (2) weeks from the move-in date will:
- be assigned one room per person, and be kept in quarantine for two (2) weeks (meals to be afforded by the dorm)
- be allowed to move-in the dorm until Saturday, February 29 (Sinchon Campus) or Sunday, March 1 (International Campus)
2) Those who have no travel history to China or Southeast Asian countries are scheduled to move-in after Saturday, March 14 (Sinchon Campus) or Friday, March 13 (International Campus)
3) Everyone is required to hand in their Certificate of Entry and Exit or boarding pass copy to verify travel history.
3. [Sinchon Campus] Fitness Center and Swimming Pool will be closed for one (1) month.
Specific dates will be announced soon.
4. The University’s general policy will be to cancel all major events on campus until the national infectious disease alert level is lowered.
1) All events to be attended by more than 100 people will be canceled, including off-campus events.
2) In the case of small-sized events, the organizer must confirm that no attendees have traveled to China within the last two (2) weeks of the event. Attendees must wear masks, and hand sanitizers must be available onsite.
3) No further space rental will be permitted until the national infectious disease alert level is lowered.
5. Follow-up Measures for 2020 Commencement (Graduation Ceremony)
1) The upcoming February Commencement will be postponed and jointly held with August Commencement. (i.e., Students graduating in February are to participate in August Commencement)
2) Students who cannot attend August Commencement for personal reasons (such as traveling) can rent graduation gowns during the February gown rental period. The rental period for each undergraduate/graduate department is subject to change.
6. Limited Access to Buildings with Multiple Entrances
To prevent the spread of the virus, buildings with multiple entrances such as the Central Library will be restricted to one (1) to two (2) entries. Body temperature check-ups may be conducted at the entrances.
7. [Updated February 13, 2020] Those who travel to countries with confirmed COVID-19* cases must self-quarantine for two (2) weeks upon return.
All members of the Yonsei community are advised to refrain from traveling to the following countries announced by the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) to prevent the cross-border entry of the COVID-19 through a third nation. If you have traveled to these countries, please take precautionary measures to self-quarantine after your visit.
- Most affected countries: China, Hong Kong, Macao
- Countries with risk of virus spreading within communities: Singapore, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan
- Other countries with confirmed cases
*On February 11, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced an official name for the disease causing the novel coronavirus outbreak, COVID-19.