On May 17th, the Underwood family, including Reverend Peter Underwood (Won Han-seok), the great grandson of the founder of Yonsei University Dr. Horace Grant Underwood (Won Du-woo), Professor Elizabeth Underwood (visiting scholar in Sociology), and Thomas Underwood, the regional program officer in the Embassy of the United States in Korea, gathered with Yonsei President Jeong Kap-young at the Underwood Memorial Hall. The Underwood family visited together in order to attend the reopening ceremony of the Underwood Memorial Hall. In his speech, President Jeong Kap-young made a remark on the Underwood spirit, saying “The Underwoods are who cultivated Yonsei. We have been able to maintain the best educational qualities thanks to the Underwood family. The Underwood spirit is the spirit of Yonsei.”
In 1885, Reverend Won Du-woo’s president housing was near Jeong-dong in Seoul. The building was newly built in Namdaemoon in 1905, and was relocated to the Sinchon campus area in 1927. After being destroyed during the 6.25 Korean War, the president housing was reconstructed; and in 1974 the property was donated to Yonsei University. In 2003, it was transformed into the Underwood Memorial Hall, which has been managed by Yonsei University Museum since 2010. The Hall has reopened after going through renovation.